Thursday 14 May 2009

Deutschland: Land of Ideals and Ideas

Gleefully I am sitting in my room and at the same time having a slight feeling of grief. Well, let's be positive and start with what is gleaming me.

My first presentation in front of circa 60 people, all in German. This is one of the most devastating and shall i say one of the most memorable incidents in my life. My group was consisted of a negro and a turkish. The other two which was a Tunisian and a half blood Turkish pulled away because there were just to many heads for one simple mechanical problem in Mechanics 1.
Working with people from other countries really changed the way how i saw people. Once, I always had the bad habit to genaralize and judge one based on his colour and race, but now, so to say, people will always remain people despite of who they are. A few days ago, I went out a few German friends, yesterday I accidentally met Hussam (the half blood Turkish) in a fast food outlet, and we had lunch together, talking about things which just came to mind.

A good German friend of mine by the name of Christuf, is for me by far the most friendliest and open minded person I've ever met since my arrival in Germany. We exchanged information about our countries, and argued a fewopinions which we had about the so called liberalism and religion. His ideas were far different than mine and his perception and my peception about the world is entirely different. Arguing with him, did not even make me feel offended whatsoever, because what both of us had was openness and understanding of each other's viewpoint.

My Mitbewohner (housemate) was also a fruitful guy to talk with. All three of them were party animals, but each of them wise in their own way. One of them, Chris, had a very vast viewpoint about libaralism and religion and once said to me that before he wants to declare himself as a follower of a religion, he wants to study each of the choices he has and come to a conclusion when he is wise enough. Of course, he asked about certain things in Islam (all in 100% German Language) and it took me quite a while nad tremendous patience to explain to him. Of course, there were a few queestions that i myself could not answer so I choose to say 'Es ist zwar kompleks. Bitte gib mir Zeit zum researchieren'. (It's quite complicated. Please give me time to research based on ur Question). The art of escaping from looming questions so to say.

For me, Germany is a place to strengthen and furthermore build up my ideals. That was why, I liked to talk to people who tals about things which are useful and talk about facts. It's quite a blessing to know what they really think, their viewpoint on a certain issue, and the manner in which they use to think. That was one of the reasons why I choose not to mingle around with a group in the FH called the International Students. Well, I myself am an international Student, but, I have my own opinion about them. That I would not like to share, for their conversation is not fruitful.

What's causing me grief by far is the fact that a certain person I admire isn't able to come to Germany in June because of Swine flu. Stupid pigs!! But it's ok. Things happen for a reason don't they?

2 comments: