Thursday 26 November 2009

Visit to Stahlwerk (Kilang besi)



My first excursion with my coursemates from the Fachhochschule. Oo, never did I knew that each and everyone of them had a wild side I never could have figured out. It seems that on that very day, almost everyone became friendly to me. People who never even acknowledeged me before suddenly gave smiles and cracked jokes, and some of them even told me about their life story which was quite interesting to hear. But that was not the main part of the trip.

Entering the Stahlwerk, it was the first time I saw melted steel in front of my very eyes. Just imagine, 21 square kilometers of nothing except steel processing factories in the heart of the city. Super cool. The oven in which they melt the steel ores. The melted steel ores (looks like larva) is then sent to another building tb formed into solid steel. After it is formed into blocks of solid steel, these blocks are then sent to the 'Walzwerk' or in other words a pressing factory, where the thickness of one block is reduced to one twentieth of its original thickness, by being flattened and cooled under high water pressure. Wow.. never knew that it takes so much processes just to produce a steel part for our everyday products.

But of course, the smoke and pollution produced by this Stahlwerk was of epic proportions. There was once, when the Sulphur Dioxide vapour was blown directly towards us by the wind and all of us coughed and eventually had red eyes herafter. We only have one earth, and if this goes on, how is our world going to sustain for the next generations after us? Well, we just have to keep our fingers crossed don't we?

But of course, to tell you the truth, Europeans tend to stereotype Asians saying that people like us tend to be involved in industrial espionage. Well, duh.. Not all asians are mainland chinese u know.. to be honest, I regard all of the people who say this remark to be Hitler's reincarnations. Even my E--Technik proffesor has a foul stench of nazism. Damn ultra nationalists!

But for me, its not that I support industrial espionage, but for me, technology is meant to be shared. For the sake of profits, firms keep their research a secret and will not share their intellectual assets with their comrades of the human race. How doof. Get the facts straight: Europeans themselves took knowledge from the Islamic empire, and used this knowledge to invade other countries. They took thhe rescouces from other countries and now, they are still greedy in sharing their technological advancements to third world countries.

Just imagine, if science is put in front of profits, I think the crisis in developing countries could be solved. Science will advance very rapidly like it did in the Islamic empire during European's dark ages. Now technology is only shared by strong nations. That's why, in my case, scientists and philosophers heal the world, but businessmen turn this world into living hell for poor people. Down with capitalism!!

But basically I had a good time. Above is a picture of one of my group mates from Sierre Lione (just knew that it was pronounced as Sieghe Lio) and one of the girls from my group in a rusted steel factory built during the 19th century.

My slogan for this post: Down with supriority, down with capitalism and say no to racism. By the way, selamat hari raya Aidiladha..

No comments:

Post a Comment