Friday 10 July 2009

Himpunan Mahasiwa Bersama: An example of idealistic extremism



Another plain example of ignorance and stupidity. This so called Perhimpunan Mahasiswa Bersama. Just imagine if a foreigner wiould have stumbled upon this barbaric riot, how much polluted will be the name of my beloved country. People will tend to compare Malaysia with the ethnic conflicts in China and the political turmoil in Thailand and say: O.. I think Malaysia is at par..

That's what pisses me off seeing people doing demonstrations. Its a waste of time, money and manpower. You'd think the government will respond? Well, it seems that in the past few days, the Government has taken a stance to uphold the national language again in governmet schools, but is it due ti this pointless protest. If I were to be someone at the top, I would just see the protest at the corner of my eye and just say 'how dumb..'.

As a matter of fact, I am neither pro Government nor pro Opposition. I'm just somebody pro to what I think is logic and practical. Well, there are some BN policies that I don't agree with and there are also some Oppositon policies I too have a hard time to comprehend. But this post is not about politics. It'ss about sanity and being practical.

Last year, there was a protest by the GPMS (Gabungan Pelajar Melayu Semenanjung) against the intake of 20% non-bumis in UITM. Well, to tell you the truth, during the protest, I was actually an active member of the GPMS, using it as a platform to spread my ideals. But, seeing as how babyish they were in deciding to organise that protest, I decided that GPMS was not so to my liking. It wasn't that free from UMNO politics for that protest was pointed toward the current Opposition MB of Selangor. For me, all protests have a foul stench of dirty politics puppeting the crowd. Including this one.

So that is why, I would not be shocked if this Perhimpunan Mahasiswa bersama is politically motivated. And students, who are subsidised by the government to study, end up wasting their time doing nonsense. For me, an ideal student is a student that not only learns, but also uses his or her new found knowledge and charisma to serve tha society around him. In contrast, an unworthy student will use his free time to do useless things, and how much more for things which have practically negative effects to the society.

Back to this Perhimpunan. (See MalaysiaKini for a full 10 minute view), you can notice these people blocking the road, delaying important appointments and deliveries, slowing down the pace of modernism, just to demonstrate. Roads get blocked, the serenity of the ever peaceul Kuala Lumpur gets destroyed by people shouting. Well, if i were the government, I wouldn't have the slight feeling of sympathy for demonstrators beiing shot by tear gas. Well, they are disturbing my country. You xpect me to have sympathy.. Not..

And another fact, they were shouting the Takbir.. (Allahuakbar) in the streets in rage and agony. To my understanding, (please correct me), the Takbir is not only used to praise Allah (Allah is great), but is used to increase morale when facing an enemy. So who is the enemy? Policy makers? The government? For me it's a disgrace to God when one shouts Allahuakbar in a state of anger and rage. And in the video, you can see people with Kopiah's, long head scarves, dressing as foretold by the Sunnah, commiting uncivilized acts on the streets. and at the same time shouting the Takbir.

Let me define extremism: An act in which someone suffices, when he or she thinks he is doing a good thing, but in fact is doing it too much that it becomes pointless, bringing shame to what he or she is initially fighting for. Based on this definition, what we see in this video is extremism..

Like many people say, not to high not to low.. The middle is OK..

3 comments:

  1. aku pon malas gak.hari2 main restaurant city kt fb.harap2 aku tak guna masa lapang aku ntuk join bnd ni.hahaha.cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. what is this demonstration for again? thanks for writing this post, never tot of the goods n bads of a demonstration... i oweys tot it is none of my business... haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. PPSMI. They want to return the national language in the curriculum. In a very stupid manner.

    ReplyDelete